Four Eccentric Players to look for in the World Cup
The World Cup matches have been pretty eventful, with a handful of upsets and surprises to boot. A few of the standout players have probably already caught your eye thanks to their superior skills, but many of them are especially known for the eccentricities they show off the pitch. These guys are wild — some stand out for their charity work, and, well, others for completely blowing up their own homes with fireworks.
He’s without a doubt Brazil’s best player at the moment. The Brazilian is most known for his weird hairstyles, faking injuries and dribbling skills on the pitch. You might recognize him from the recent commercial Beats filmed for the World Cup, alongside fellow athletes like LeBron James.
2. Mario Balotelli
‘Super Mario’ is the best striker the Italian team has, and probably the most insane out of all the players attending the World Cup. This guy is just so special he deserves bullet points, so here it goes:
- He owns a pet pig.
- He wears football boots with news headlines of himself.
- He burned down his own house using fireworks in his bathroom (over 400,000 Euros worth of damage).
- When he was pulled over by cops he was asked why he was carrying around 5,000 euros in cash he simply replied, “because I’m rich.”
- His mom once sent him to shop for cleaning products and instead he came back home with a giant trampoline and two vespas.
- A boy in the street told Mario he was being picked on at school, so he decided to confront the bullies and the headmaster.
- He got a $100,000 fine for throwing darts at youth players.
- He’s faced $10,000 in car fines and has had his car impounded 27 times.
This guy probably knows how to throw a real party.
3. Cristiano Ronaldo
The guy all girls drool over is not only one of the best players in the world but is also one of the most well paid. Even though he’s the most hated player thanks to his arrogance, apparently there’s also a generous side to him.
- He paid for the cancer treatment of a nine-year-old.
- His freekick speed is around 130 kilometers an hour, which is 31.1 meters per second.
- He makes $23 million a year just from the contract he has with his club, and makes another $22 million just from sponsors.
- If a team decided to buy him, they’d have to pay $1 billion.
4. Leo Messi
The Argentine striker is without a doubt the best player in the world and probably one of the smallest. He’s the most reserved player there is, so his eccentricity is shown in how he plays and the amount of rivals he runs past in the field. Definitely the one player everyone will be looking out for during the World Cup. You will never again see a player like him in your lifetime.